Visits are usually two hours per week on days and times that are convenient for the client and the volunteer (including evenings and weekends).
Community Locations across the GTA! Toronto, Peel Region, York Region, Durham Region. CNIB has individuals waiting for a volunteer in all areas of our region. We will work with you to find a match that is convenient for you.
Volunteers help unleash the power of technology to ensure people with sight loss have the skills and tools to connect with the outside world. Tech volunteers work with participants to nurture the necessary skills to use a range of mainstream technology, including smartphones and mobile apps. You don’t need to be tech savvy to get involved!
In this role, you'll:
- help people set up new devices and/or troubleshoot any tech issues;
- teach participants how to use and navigate various mobile apps (ex: Uber, Google Maps, Facebook, Twitter)
- share tech skills by leading or supporting technology workshops in a supportive environment;
- provide one-on-one support to people in your community.
- Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted; provide sighted assistance and companionship to a person in your community who is blind or partially sighted.
- Develop or use experience and skills in client service.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.
- Trustworthy, patient, empathetic and friendly
- Must be reliable, patient, responsible, friendly, oganized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- A thorough background check including a Clear Police Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must be 19 or older
- We ask for a six-month commitment to the program;
- CNIB provides orientation about CNIB, the people we help, vision loss, and volunteering at CNIB, as well as training specific to the position.
- Training specific to the position, including: working as a Tech Mate and what to do when problems arise.
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online application form.