In November, the CNIB Foundation celebrated the grand opening of its first community hub in Northern Ontario. Guests included MPP Jamie West, Mayor Brian Bigger, Councillor Bill Leduc and Councillor Mark Signoretti.
The CNIB Sudbury Community Hub, at 1545 Regent Street, hosts an extensive menu of offerings, including accessible technology training, advocacy resources, child and youth programming, and peer support groups. The community hub is an exciting and successful endeavour for the CNIB Foundation. Two and a half years ago, we opened our very first space in Toronto. Now, we have dynamic community hubs in Kingston, London, Montreal, Ottawa and Sudbury.
These community-based spaces are transforming our communities into beacons of accessibility and inclusion - enabling people to lead fuller, more independent lives where everyone can live, work and play without barriers.
The CNIB Sudbury Hub is also home to the CNIB Lake Joe team, CNIB Eye Van, and Vision Loss Rehabilitation Ontario (VLRO) – the province’s leading provider of rehabilitation therapy for people with vision loss.
- A tech bar where community members have an opportunity to learn more about accessible low-tech and high-tech devices;
- An accessible kitchen where community members can showcase their culinary skills;
- And an agile community space (i.e. no offices) where staff and volunteers can create and share ideas in an inclusive atmosphere.
Check out photos from the launch event on Facebook!
In the News
- Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte candidates to face accessibility questions, Simoce.com, October 16, 2019
- New and upgraded Eye Van visits Manitoulin, Manitoulin Expositor, October 18, 2019
- Vers un quartier accessible pour les personnes en perte de vision, Le Lezard, Cision, October 19, 2019
- CNIB Eye Van helps patients receive care close to home, The Sioux Lookout Bulletin, October 22, 2019
- Dining in the Dark: Unique fundraiser from CNIB, CTV News London, October 22, 2019
- Sudbury briefs: CNIB opens community hub, The Lucknow Sentinel, November 12, 2019
- CNIB celebrates grand opening of its new community hub, Sudbury.com, November 17, 2019
- Sudbury’s new CNIB Community Hub, CTV News Northern Ontario, November 18, 2019
- Canadian National Institute For The Blind's 2019 Guide Dogs Graduate, Huffington Post, AOL, November 22, 2019
- Guide dogs graduate from special program and will now help visually impaired, CTV News Toronto, Newstalk 1010, November 22, 2019
- Bow-wow: CNIB Foundation ceremony marks graduation for dog partners, Ottawa Citizen, Ottawa Sun, November 22, 2019
- Guide Dog Graduation (35:35 mark), CTV News Ottawa at Five, November 22, 2019
- PHOTO SHOOTS: CNIB Guide Dogs announce the class of 2019, Toronto.com, December 6, 2019
- Quebec doubling financial aid for guide, service dog users (10:44 mark), CBC News Montreal, December 22, 2019
- Ontario's 5-year electric scooter pilot launches Jan. 1, Canadian Press, Toronto Sun, December 31, 2019