On May 19, the Government of Ontario announced that overnight camps will not be permitted to operate in the summer of 2020 due to COVID-19. While this was very difficult to hear, CNIB Lake Joe understands and supports this decision as it puts health and safety first.
“While we are truly disappointed in-person programs at CNIB Lake Joe are canceled for summer 2020, we are busier than ever as we explore new and exciting ways to stay connected during these times and year round,” explains Eugene Chong, General Manager, CNIB Lake Joe.
Based on camper feedback, CNIB Lake Joe is now offering virtual camp programs online and over the phone. These new CNIBLakeJoe@Home programs include friendly coffee groups and fun family trivia sessions and will expand to offer new programs and activities this summer…and beyond!
“It's good to know that we can all get on that group coffee chat,” says Sue, a camper who joined the group right away. “It made me feel very connected physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. It's not the same as being at camp, but it made me feel like I could look forward to something…thank you!”
The number of people participating in virtual programs continues to steadily increase as word spreads throughout the community.
“I think it’s pretty neat!” shared another camper. “We should have this more often…throughout the year!” exclaimed another.
Though launched ahead of schedule due to COVID-19, virtual programming will be a permanent addition to CNIB Lake Joe program offerings.
"Supplementing our in-person programs, CNIBLakeJoe@Home online programs play an important role in building and maintaining the sense of community that is a cornerstone of CNIB Lake Joe. We want to ensure everyone has an opportunity to enjoy camp, free of any barriers, including transportation, registration fees and COVID-19," says Monique Pilkington, Executive Director, CNIB Lake Joe.
This summer will be different than we had hoped, but we are committed to keeping our amazing community connected. We can't wait to welcome everyone back to CNIB Lake Joe. Until then, we invite you to enjoy the magic of CNIB Lake Joe from the comfort and safety of your home with awesome programs for virtual campers of all ages. These programs are free and available to Canadians who are blind or partially sighted as well as their families, friends and caregivers.
CNIBLakeJoe@Home Program Summary
- Adult Monday Music: Mondays in July from 10-11 a.m. EDT
- Kids Craft Corner: Mondays in July from 3-4 p.m. EDT – meet the instructor and view one of the craft sessions in this short video!
- CNIB Lake Joe Coffee Break: Tuesdays from 9-10 a.m. EDT
- Making Music for Kids: Tuesdays in July from 10-11 a.m. EDT – get a sneak peek of the fun music activities in this short video!
- Youth Leadership Lounge: Tuesdays in July from 3-4 p.m. EDT
- Adult Evening Programs: Tuesdays in July from 7-8 p.m. EDT
- Adult Craft Corner Series: Wednesdays in July from 10-11 a.m. EDT
- Music Through Time: Wednesdays in July from 3-4 p.m. EDT
- Campfire Songs & Stories: Wednesdays in July from 7-8 p.m. EDT
- Little Joes: Thursdays in July from 10-10:30 a.m. EDT
- CNIB Lake Joe Trivia: Thursdays in July from 3-4 p.m. EDT
- Family Evening Programs: Thursdays in July from 7-8 p.m. EDT
- July 9 – Bingo
- July 16 – Murder Mystery
- July 23– Talent Show
- July 30 – Family Game Night
- Fitness Fridays: Fridays in July from 10-11 a.m. EDT
- Let’s Get Moving: Fridays in July from 3-4 p.m. EDT
Hats off to the Military Police Fund for Blind Children
Special thanks to the Military Police Fund for Blind Children for funding and supporting our new CNIBLakeJoe@Home Camp-in-a-Box program. Their generous gift of $10,000 will provide 100 children and youth from coast-to-coast with equipment and supplies for a week’s worth of camp programming that will be planned and delivered by the CNIBLakeJoe@Home virtual programming team. The Camp-in-a-Box program is offered at no cost to families, with all sorts of “summer fun” materials shipped straight to participants’ homes.