- Classes are every Tuesday, 10am - 12noon starting in September to April
- Minimum of 3 years commitment
Toronto (GTA), Peel Region, York Region, Durham Region
The Volunteer Braille Transcribers produce high quality Braille documents as assigned to support CNIB and its clients. To become a Volunteer Transcriber, the applicant must complete the 8-month Braille Transcription course offered by CNIB (at no cost). This position is ideal for retirees, librarians, teachers, writers or anyone who loves literacy and has a great attention to detail. This course will require a commitment of 15 hours per week to complete classes and assignments. This intensive course leads to certification in UEB qualifying a person to transcribe English print materials into contracted braille. Once the candidate has the expertise some of the work can be done from home.
Once the course has been completed, the candidate must:
- Commit to a minimum of 3 years as a Braille Transcriber Volunteer for CNIB,
- Be willingness to work flexible hours when required.
- Adhere to CNIB's Volunteer Code of Conduct, including Policies and Procedures concerning confidentiality, conflict of interest, and prevention of workplace harassment and violence.
Obtain your UEB Transcriber Certification and help us to smash communication barriers for our clients by giving them access to the printed word.
- Strong organization, prioritization and judgment skills.
- Dependable and detail oriented
- Ability to handle deadlines and changing priorities with good judgment.
- Comfortable working in a team environment.Excellent reading and writing communications skills, a good grasp of English grammar is necessary to properly do this volunteer work.
- Comfortable working with Microsoft office suite.
This position entails, but is not limited to:
- Obtaining the UEB Transcriber certification.
- Supporting CNIB’s efforts in the development and promotion of Braille materials.
- Assisting with management of Braille examination process.
- Support CNIB's braille production and literacy initiatives.
- Continue braille transcription education.
If you are interested in this position, please email email@example.com with Braille Volunteer in the subject line.