Before your next adventure at CNIB Lake Joe, here are ten things you should know!
- CNIB Lake Joe is the only fully accessible camp for people with sight loss in Canada, providing a unique blend of recreation and skills development in a safe, inclusive environment. It is also accessible for persons using mobility aids and people who are Deafblind.
- We have been offering top-notch programs at CNIB Lake Joseph Centre since 1961 – almost 60 years! – and are continually innovating and improving the experience for campers impacted by sight loss.
- It’s not just for kids! CNIB Lake Joe is open to people of all ages. We have welcomed guests from one to 91 years of age.
- Guests come from far and wide. Though CNIB Lake Joe is in central Ontario, guests travel from across Ontario, Canada and internationally to enjoy CNIB Lake Joe.
- CNIB Lake Joe is an accredited member of the Ontario Camps Association (OCA), meeting or exceeding industry standards with the utmost safety and care of our guests in mind.
- We have a great staff:camper ratio that far exceeds OCA’s standards.
- We practice what we preach. We take pride in our inclusive workplace and are committed to recruiting staff and volunteers who have lived experience with sight loss.
- We are an affiliate member of the Lifesaving Society, Canada’s lifeguarding expert.
- All program staff are certified first aiders, and some are certified as first responders.
- Thanks to the generosity of CNIB Foundation supporters, camp registration fees are highly subsidized to keep camp fees as low as possible. Further subsidies are available for those who qualify.
You can make it possible to bring the magic of camp to even more people. Consider contributing to the “Sponsor a Camper” bursary or excursion or browse the CNIB Lake Joe Wish List and purchase items that can be put to use right away at CNIB Lake Joe – bike helmets, fishing gear, pottery supplies, and more.